Planning for a race

I remember running in the NE 5k championship last year talking to a lad I knew at the start line. He runs about two mins quicker than me (sub-16min). He said he had thrown his Garmin watch away and just runs against who turns up and tries to beat them.

I'm the opposite. :)

I look at Strava for hours before a race learning the course and working out the sort of pace I want to try and hit for each km.

So I guess everyone is different, but for those interested, this is how I plan for a race.

1. Condition

The one thing you cannot control is the weather. You don't want it too hot. You don't want it too windy. But there is nothing you can do other than deal with what you are given. I read somewhere that on a strong windy day you lose 12s/km going into the wind, but only gain 6s/km when the wind is on your back. So if its windy, accept you'll not be getting as fast a time as you may have. If it's red hot - then try and make sure you get plenty of water on board and try and keep yourself cool and hydrated.

For the race coming up tomorrow (RunNation Matfen 10km) MetCheck shows almost perfect conditions - cloudy, 12 degrees and less than 10mph wind.

Next thing is to try and get yourself in the best possible condition. My routine is:

  • Have two full rest days before the run - maybe some very light stuff - but get your body desperate to run for the race day
  • The week before do a tempo/threshold workout at roughly the same distance as the race. For a 10k - I'll do 10k. For a HM - I'll maybe do a 16k.
  • Don't have more than one or two beers the night before :)
  • Have a routine on the morning in terms of breakfast - coffee/omelette is my breakfast of choice. 
A screenshot of my recent workout is below. Picked a bit of an undulating course in prep and tried to work hard on the uphill sections to keep the pace below 4:00/km - kept a little bit in the tank for the flat and downhills. Overall this was a 39:00 10k. I'd be hoping for 37:00-38:00 on a race day.

2. Analysis

I then look at the race and plot my own version of it using Strava RouteBuilder. From this you can see the elevation profile which is pretty much the important thing. For example, below it can be seen that the first 4km will be tough - then time can be made up in the second half. Go to fast up the hill and you're knackered. Go too slow up the hill and you'll never make the time back to get the result you want.

Against the route builder, it shows the segments, from these you can find a runner who previously did the race in roughly the same time you are aiming for. Example below from a chap who did 37:30 which is a cracking time on an undulating course...

From this I can start thinking about what pace I want to try and achieve for the different sections.

For this particular race, as mentioned, the first 4km are a steady up-hill slog that slowly gets steeper. Looking at the previous runner's figures and having a feel for the pace in the recent workout I did gives me a target of trying to hit 3:40, 3:50 and then try and hold onto 4:00 and 4:00 for the first first 4km. Working in kms and not miles allows you to break things down better.

The plan is then to try and get back to 3:40 (or below) for the downhill sections. If I can do this then I may be able to get under 38:00 which I'd be very happy with.

Over 38:00 and I'll be grumpy all of next week. Less than 38:00 I'll be happy.

Finally, I'll have a quick look at Google StreetView to get a feel for the road and the junctions...

3. Reflection 

To write after the race...

Update 20/09 - race went well. Around 37:30. Did the first 4km exactly how I wanted and had enough in the tank to make up some good time 

...and now sat at home having a coffee and a bit of cake and thinking about the next set of training and next race :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day before the marathon

Running goals for the year

Bamburgh - Half Marathon Route