Running training plan for 2021

Right here's the training plan for 2021. Similar to what I did second half of 2020, but with slightly tougher Tuesday evenings...

Based on the principles I put down in the blog post below:

https://northeastrunning.blogspot.com/2020/07/how-to-run-faster.html

Monday and Wednesday
Not going to try and run every session at fastest speed. Monday and Wednesdays will be about getting out and stretching the legs and enjoying it at a deliberately slower pace than normal. Theory is that (a) it'll still do me good and (b) I'll recover nicely for a good workout the following day.

Tuesday and Thursday
Hard training sessions. Tuesday being the tougher one with a double session. Something like 12x400m or 5x1km or hill work at my fastest pace. Then following it up with a tempo 5km just to really work the legs. Thursday will be something like a progression run finishing at my fastest race pace or a threshold 5k.

Friday
Day off. Take it as easy as possible to let legs recover as much as possible for Saturday. On weeks where Saturday is a proper race and not just parkrun, I'll do the Thursday effort early morning to give a full 48 hours recovery.

Saturday
Ideally some race somewhere in North East. Massive fingers crossed that these come back from the spring after what is hopefully the final lockdown.

Sunday
Some weeks Sunday may be the race day. But when not, a nice slow paced early morning half marathon somewhere nice. Maybe drive out a big first to take in a new interesting route.

...and do as much as possible with some company to keep the social side there too.

I'll reflect on this at Xmas 2021 - fingers crossed for a good year.

(Posted some targets for PBs - my thinking is that if I train well - the PBs will take care of themselves).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day before the marathon

Running goals for the year

Bamburgh - Half Marathon Route