Sub three hour marathon effort - The training plan - (1 of 3)

As I've been doing a half marathon each weekend for the last year or so, I thought I should take the next step and enter a marathon.

So I swapped my Yorkshire 10 mile place for a Yorkshire Marathon place.

It's in 14 weeks' time. I've spent a few hours looking at training plans online. I've spoken to some good club runners to pick their brains. ...and here's my training plan below...

14 week marathon plan
Key points:

  • Overall goal - sub 3hr marathon. But if I don't get it not to beat myself up about it. Aim for the ceiling and all that.
  • I want to keep doing other races throughout the summer - marathon doesn't top trump everything else
  • Not to go too crazy on the pace - just build up slowly to 3hr long runs and understand what energy intake I need
  • Get used to 'race pace' the two weekends leading up to the run (but at shorter distance)
  • Do first two hours on the day at 4:10/km pace (would be 2hrs56) and then try hardest to continue for third hour knowing pace can slip a bit if needed.
Fingers crossed.

Next post:

Comments

  1. Marathon training plans beginners Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The day before the marathon

Running goals for the year

Bamburgh - Half Marathon Route