2021 reflections on the year

Back in January 2021 I posted a training plan for the year along with some target times I was hoping to hit:
https://northeastrunning.blogspot.com/2021/01/running-training-plan-for-2021.html

Reflecting back 12 months later, I think I got things just about right and will keep the same plan in place for 2022. In summary:

  1. Alternate easy run days with hard workout sessions
  2. Race or parkrun at the weekend
  3. Long run where possible at the weekend
  4. One rest day each week
In terms of distance, works out roughly as 60km a week - around 3,200km per year.
Ideal training week - 2 workouts, one race, one long run
The good news is that this plan gave me personal bests at all of the distances I raced at:
  1. parkrun - 17:40 (Herrington) 
  2. 5k - 17:40 (Sunderland)
  3. 10k - 36:26 * (Hexham)
  4. 10mi - 59:33 (Brampton)
  5. HM - 80:34 (Sunderland)
* I recorded 35:44 at Town Moor for 10k, but course measured short and runbritain ruled as invalid - which was a real shame, as a sub-36 10k would have been something to be proud of.

One big difference to the year from what I originally planned was to train for and complete the Yorkshire Marathon. Although I didn't get my sub-3hr target in the bag - I think there was an overall improvement to my fitness that resulted in the best form of my life in the shorter runs

Targets for 2022 now are:
  1. Sub 17:30 for parkrun or 5k (I've done this in training during lockdown)
  2. Sub 36 5k
  3. Sub 80 HM
  4. Sub three Marathon
  5. ...and maybe a sub five minute 1500m if the chance arises

Could I train harder or put more distance in each week? Looking at the lads I follow who are running sub-17min 5ks they did 4,500, 4,150 and 4,600km over 2021 compared with my 3,400km.

Maybe, but I don't want to risk injury - occasionally when I put hard weeks in my calf or hamstring would tighten up and I don't want to change a training plan that works.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a good 2022. Hopefully my motivation and enjoyment of running will continue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day before the marathon

Running goals for the year

Bamburgh - Half Marathon Route