Nike or Adidas for running shoes?

I'm really undecided whether to go for Adidas or Nike when I get my next pair of running shoes that I use for races.

Past experiences
Since I started really enjoying running around two years ago I have kept two pairs of running shoes at a time. One for training and one for races.

The Adidas Ultraboost has been my choice for training.
Pros:
- Sturdy enough to run on trails and rough surfaces
- Good cushioning
- Last really well

Cons:
- Feel a bit heavy when doing speed work.

Every 800km - a new pair of Ultraboosts!
When racing (anything from parkrun up to half marathon and even an occasionally 5,000m on the track) I've been running in the Nike Vaporfly 4% Flyknits.

Pros:
- Very lightweight
- Hug your feet like a glove
- In my experience, celiver times 5-10s faster per km than any shoe I have ran in

Cons:
- Really poor grip in wet conditions - try and run Hexham parkrun on the wet grass and not fall over
- Starting to edge toward £200 for a pair of trainers!
The best shoes I have ever ran in - Nike 4% Vaporfly
Future choices
But now I have a problem, I'm at about 850km of racing in the Nike 4% Vaporfly and they don't sell them anymore.

So what do I buy next?

...and more importantly, as of July 2020, how can I buy them? - my money is ready to spend - but neither Nike or Adidas seem to be able to make their premium shoes available!!!

So, I'm monitoring the internet for what comes available first - I'm going to either get:

Option A - Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next%
Alphafly from Nike
Option B - Adidas Adizero Adios Pro
Adios Pro from Adidas
Both have the carbon plate tech and maximum foam for returning energy as the foot strikes the ground. Both are extremely light...

...I just cannot currently find any to buy. Whichever comes first will decide my choice of shoe for races for the next 18 months or so.

UPDATE
Got a pair of the Alphafly - check out my review below:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The day before the marathon

Running goals for the year

Bamburgh - Half Marathon Route